Waffles at Lewis Gene

I love waffles. I love pancakes. Those pictures of waffles and pancakes can make me either drool or scroll past really fast so I don't subject my gadget to intensive drool-cleaning.

Lewis Gene is a rather subtle outlet in Solaris Mont Kiara (i.e. the Korean food haven, not the Publika area). Located on the first floor at the corner end of a row of shop lots, it reminds me of the cosy tea houses which were the to-go places instead of the commercial coffee shops and cafes that are populating like rabbits in spring. 





One thing that will strike you when you enter is how unpretentious the place is. There are a number of coffee machines but they are either for sale or for use. No fancy-schmancy Instagram-worthy shots with bird cages and funny props but that makes it even more endearing to me. It is real, it brings us back to the fact that we go to cafes for food and company.

I came just for the waffles and was truly impressed by the range of teas they have. I mean, just look at these little jars of tea. And the large jars are pictured below. Kau tim for tea lovers! Mint, Earl Grey and English Breakfast? Puh-lease, you can have the infamous Birthday Tea, Mate Energy Booster, Pu-Erh and more.
More tea for you?


The doorbell

 

 The food menu

If I had something to fault, it would definitely be the menu. It's all up on the blackboard in chalk and scrawled tightly like so, reminding me of having to copy homework into my exercise books. 



The caffeine selection

Just craning my neck to try to identify something to have made me pucker my lips and furrow my brows. Note to Lewis Gene team: I love reading but some visuals or a reading menu may help. 

Whizzing down the caffeine menu, my furrowed brows started to lift. Their interesting range of beverages in the caffeine end are must-tries. Red kacang kopi ice and Taipei Affogato were one of the recommended ones. As for the drinks in red, I would surmise that these are alcoholic coffees.




Lewis Gene has curious-looking contraptions which I found out, were for drip coffee. The owner sources for these drips and does use them for certain coffees. Furthermore, the beans they use are house blended, meaning that they source different kinds of beans and then create their own balanced blend.



Another coffee drip?
No, just a lit candle with lots of melted wax




I went with the Butterscotch Cream Latte (doesn't that just invoke fuzziness in you?) as I needed to satisfy my sweet tooth. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, Lewis Gene has got their coffee pat down right. I have scarcely seen any coffee outlet that gets so much right. From their latte foam-to-coffee ratio to the velvetiness of the milk and the presence of the aromatic coffee, they nailed it. The palpable richness of the butterscotch and cream was as unforgettable as watching shooting stars fly across the sky over and over again. Later on, after lots of stifled moans, I was told that the butterscotch was made by themselves. No syrup bullshit here, guys. And any one that can make a beautiful butterscotch deserves warm hugs, endless love and yes, shooting stars. 

Here comes the star I initially came for:



The Belgian Waffle

Just like Christmas came on a platter, the Belgian Waffle is one of their popular desserts. Visually, they score for arranging the waffles in such a non-conventional way. And the colourful hundreds and thousands, oh, don't tell the boys but I love those! 

The waitress lay this in front of me and sauntered away with a mysterious smile. Ah, that minx, she knew how much I would enjoy it.



Toasty warm waffles kicked up the score but I am not sure if everyone would like so much cream. I appreciate that the cream was also not of the canned variety (really, if you are a true food lover, you would never serve that) but it did make the waffles slightly soggy after I tried to extend my eating pleasure by taking it slow. The strawberries were juicy and red but I did get a bit of an off-vibe, perhaps it was an older batch, seeing that it was a weekday. Ice cream always goes well with waffles. While I am not sure what ice cream they used, I wished there was more flavour to it, maybe a gorgeous vanilla to pair with the waffles.



Plenty of good light streaming through the windows and cushioned seats suggest a meet-up that would be comfortable with lots of pictures.



Lewis Gene, kau tim lah!



Lewis Gene

Address
  • Lot 2-1(First Floor), Jalan Solaris 3
  • Solaris Mont Kiara
  • 50480 Kuala Lumpur

Tel
016-328 4438

No comments:

Post a Comment